In the world of self-storage, there are various options available to cater to different needs. One such option is storing items in shipping containers, which can be found in many storage yards in Cambridge. However, before opting for this storage solution, it’s essential to consider the pros and cons associated with it. In this blog post, we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of storing self-storage in shipping containers in Cambridge.
Pros of Storing Self Storage in Shipping Containers:
- Affordability: One of the significant advantages of using shipping containers for storage is their cost-effectiveness. They are generally much cheaper compared to indoor self-storage facilities. This makes them an attractive option, particularly for businesses or trades that need to store items unaffected by the elements, such as building materials or machinery.
- Suitable for muddy items and non-sensitive goods: Shipping containers can be an excellent choice for builders and tradespeople who often deal with muddy or dirty items. These containers provide a secure space where these items can be stored without concerns about cleanliness. Similarly, businesses that need to store items that are not sensitive to temperature or humidity fluctuations may find shipping containers suitable for their needs.
Cons of Storing Self Storage in Shipping Containers:
- Dampness and humidity: One of the most significant drawbacks of using shipping containers for storage in Cambridge is their tendency to accumulate moisture and dampness. This can pose a problem for items that are sensitive to humidity, such as soft furnishings, electronics, or delicate documents. The damp environment can lead to mold growth, musty odors, and potential damage to stored items.
- Limited access and heavy doors: Another challenge with shipping containers is their design, which typically features heavy doors that can be difficult to maneuver. Additionally, some storage yards may not have the most pleasant surroundings or convenient access for customers. These factors can make accessing stored items a cumbersome and less user-friendly experience, especially if frequent access is required.
Indoor Clean and Dry Self Storage Facilities:
- Security and accessibility: Indoor self-storage facilities offer enhanced security measures to protect your belongings. These facilities often have advanced surveillance systems, access control, and onsite staff to ensure the safety of your stored items. Moreover, these facilities provide 24/7 access to customers, allowing flexibility in retrieving or storing items at any time.
- Protection from the elements: Unlike shipping containers, indoor self-storage units offer a controlled environment, protecting your belongings from extreme temperature variations, humidity, and pests. This is especially crucial for delicate items, such as artwork, furniture, or important documents, which require optimal conditions to maintain their integrity.
Removals Pods as an Alternative:
- Limited access and additional costs: Removals pods, although they offer a secure storage solution, often come with limited access. Some providers may charge additional fees for accessing your items, making it less convenient for frequent access requirements. It’s important to consider these limitations if regular access to your stored belongings is essential.
Choosing the right self-storage solution in Cambridge depends on your specific needs and the nature of the items you wish to store. While shipping containers can be suitable for businesses and trades dealing with non-sensitive or muddy items, they may not be ideal for domestic house moves or items susceptible to dampness. Indoor self-storage facilities provide a clean, dry, and secure environment with 24/7 accessibility, making them a preferable choice for most individuals. It’s essential to evaluate your requirements and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision that aligns with your storage needs.